[MUD-Dev] Looking for a Magic System (inspired by Bartle's book)

erik erik at gopetslive.com
Wed Aug 3 13:03:01 CEST 2005

Hello All,

I apologize for lurking and no posting.

I am reading Bartle's book right now and I have to say I really,
really like the book.  All of your footnotes are hillarious
Dr. Bartle!

In your book you mentioned that you wished that someone would create
a magic system that was more flexible where people could mix and
match ingrediants together to produce new spells...

I am tinerking with an experiment with GoPets to have some food
crafting and magic crafting in the future and it makes sense for
them to share the same system and use recipies...

I am scratching around some ideas on how to make it dynamic and all
nifty keen, when I thought that I had a "Question" for the list
finally.

The Question: Does anyone have a magic system or a scrawling of a
list that they wish would get implemented either for free or for a
fee provided I like it?

I am not looking for anything crazy complicated super serious... I
am looking for something cute and fun, like drag a empty potion
bottle + green spider venom + moon dust = slow or some such.  But in
a way that variations in ingrediants provide variations in
results...

Oh and I wanted to say I really liked Bartle's book.  I buy far too
many game industry books that do not actually say anything...

Oh and I also liked Raph's book too, rather than On Understanding
Comics, it actually reminded me more of Luis' Beginner's Guide to
Marx due to the philosophical matter...

And it costs a f-load to ship books from Amazon to Seoul.

Best,

--
Erik Bethke
CEO GoPets, Ltd.