[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Digest, Vol 27, Issue 3

Marc Bowden ryumo at umich.edu
Thu Aug 11 18:34:13 CEST 2005

--On Wednesday, August 10, 2005 14:07 -0700 Adam Miller
<adammil2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com> wrote:

> Set an internal threshold on how much XP can be gained in a
> day. When the threshold is broken, have it send an alert and the
> hole can be investigated and potentially addressed. However,
> consider that some people will simply advance quicker than others
> with their normal play habits, but this provides an opportunity to
> detect holes, fix them, and/or reward the player for finding them.

We've been doing this in the LP community for years and it really
does work for bug tracking. At Dreamshadow we also tracked
*negative* experience gains and skill adds through the learning
system to help us tighten up the desired learning curves in-flight,
as it were. I've also personally found it useful to track large
monetary exchanges between PCs, multiple *small* transactions
between players in x timeframe, and sums given to NPCs (one
inventive gent gave huge sums to easy monsters, which his alternates
would kill and loot to circumvent the "no sharing between
characters" rule. Players can be clever little buggers.)

         - Marc, the old LP curmudgeon