[MUD-Dev] TECH DGN: Story detection

Craig Huber huberc at frontiernet.net
Fri Aug 12 15:07:00 CEST 2005

Paul Boyle wrote:

> However, I haven't really seen any attempt to detect the story a
> player is trying to tell within a game.  Façade does it a little,
> trying to fit your plot contributions into the overall plot of the
> one act play they tell.  And there are plenty of demonstrations of
> machinma in operation where the player can tell their story
> without the game really being aware of it.  However, what I'm
> looking for is work on detecting that a recognizable story is
> being told by the player, so that the game can then interact with
> the player on that level.  Something capable of correlating more
> than a single event or state, not just embedded branch points or
> plot triggers.

I don't have much to add, but I'd be very interested in hearing your
ideas.  This is something I've been struggling with for quite a
while (on a thought experiment basis only).

I've been operating on the assumption that part of it will revolve
around creating explicit mechanisms for concepts that, right now,
are often assumed/implied: things like "relationships", "knowledge",
"identity", and so on.  If "story detection" is going to be
automated, then it seems logical that we will need to explicitly
define and track some of the peripheral elements likely to be
involved in such a story.  However, I'm also coming at it from the
"most players want to be entertained, not entertaining" perspective,
which may not be your specific tack on the subject.

So, to sum up: I got nothin'.  What have you got? :-)