[MUD-Dev] TECH DGN: Story detection

Sean Howard squidi at squidi.net
Sat Aug 13 16:26:04 CEST 2005

"Craig Huber" <huberc at frontiernet.net> wrote:

> I've been operating on the assumption that part of it will revolve
> around creating explicit mechanisms for concepts that, right now,
> are often assumed/implied: things like "relationships",
> "knowledge", "identity", and so on.  If "story detection" is going
> to be automated, then it seems logical that we will need to
> explicitly define and track some of the peripheral elements likely
> to be involved in such a story.

Ahhh.... Crawford. You seek Crawford! Chris Crawford was a great
Jedi during the early days of the Clone Wars. Now he lives as a
hermit out in the Dune Sea writing and scaring off sand people. His
work on interactive storytelling is the best out there... actually,
as far as I can tell, it's the only stuff out there, but that
doesn't mean it's not brilliant.

There is a rather extensive library at:

  http://www.erasmatazz.com/

"Chris Crawford on Interactive Storytelling":

  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321278909/qid=1123942316/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-6127800-5887257?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

However, I should warn you that he is working at a level of
abstraction that no longer requires the use of a physical universe
to manifest. This is a man who left the need for atoms behind and
exists only as pure thought. It is not for the faint of heart, but
his chapter on "rumors" was mind blowing.

- Sean