[MUD-Dev] Formulae Generation

Ximon ximon at mindmuse.net
Wed Aug 17 16:50:06 CEST 2005

Alright.. I've lurked long enough <heh> and now I have a question
for all you semi-pro+ mud developers.

I've been coding, off and on, as a pet project, a mud that's gone
through probably 10 different iterations. over the past 20
years.... it's a hobby, not a corporate venture.... yet I've always
focused on more social aspects of the game...personal interaction
systems and the like....

Well, this particular "iteration", I'm actually trying to design
combat and magic systems.  I am getting stuck trying to come up with
formulae that accurately reflect a 'to hit' roll, a damage roll,
that kind of thing....

For example, I would like the formula to determine if an attack
actually strikes the intended target to include modifcations based
on the weapon skill of the attacker, the shield (if used_ and evade
skills of the defender, the physical dexterity of the attacker, the
reflex of the defender, a random D100 roll, etc.

In pen/paper gaming I would just create a lookup chart for skill vs
attack (a 12 reflex gives -5 to the die roll, etc) but that seems
like a clunky way to do it with the power of the computer at my
hands.

I envision a more dynamic system that understands that 12 reflex
gives a 15 to 25% chance that the defender will evade, and the
higher the number, the less 'punch' actually hits the target, (and
thereby modifies the forthcoming damage roll).... and things like
that.

Any suggestions as to how to create these kinds of formulae?  Am I
being too complex for a mud?  As I said before, this is more of a
hobby and I'm more into mapping 'realistic systems' than creating
something that "approximates close enough".

Thanks for any ideas!!

Simon