[MUD-Dev] Formulae Generation

Pandora pubsynx7hye at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 23 18:57:55 CEST 2005

Ximon wrote:

> I envision a more dynamic system that understands that 12 reflex
> gives a 15 to 25% chance that the defender will evade, and the
> higher the number, the less 'punch' actually hits the target, (and
> thereby modifies the forthcoming damage roll).... and things like
> that.

How the Final Fantasy people do it is they have two variable
switches: physical/magical and
attack/defense/accuracy/evade. Physical is like, swords and magical
is like, Firaga. Attack is how hard you hit, defense is how less
hard others hit, accuracy is how well you can hit things, and evade
is whether you get hit at all.  They pair off, their attack - your
defense = your damage, their accuracy - your evade = your likelihood
of being hit.

And yes, usually there's some randomness to it. Best to have a
threshold beyond which the outcome is certain, but for border
conditions have a coin toss count somewhat.  A 12 "reflex" (or
physical evade) out of what, 99? 255?

Realistically, you might have different damage to the different body
parts, but generally that's considered way overboard in a MUD, where
your "body" is just a paragraph of descriptive text with associated
object.  Another thing might be to reduce damage if they hit, but
the accuracy - evade + randomness is very low, like a glancing blow
or what.

Realistically, most people either die or are incapacitated by the
first sword stroke, or bullet wound. I think "Thief" had some of the
most realistic combat dynamics I've seen anywhere.  (That is, you
spend the entire game sneaking around and hitting people on the back
of the head.)

--
Pandora "Starling/Tasci/Antinomy/Figment/???" synx
pgp key at http://synx.dyndns.org/starling.asc