[MUD-Dev] TECH DGN: Story detection

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Wed Aug 24 04:00:20 CEST 2005

Paul Boyle wrote:

> I believe we are talking about the same thing.  On the other hand,
> I don't agree with #1.  My hope is that you don't have to
> recognize the specific intent of a player or group of players.  My
> hope is that you simply need to recognize a theme, or a few
> consistent elements, and play off of it.

The term, baysian (or beysian?) networks comes mind. They're an AI
approach for pattern recognition. They might help. I haven't used
them.

One approach you might want to try is:

  a) Invent tools so a real GM can monitor what players are doing
  and adjust their experience accordingly.

  b) Gradually introduce small AIs to make the GM's work easier.

  c) In the long run (many centuries from now), it'll all be AI.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au