[MUD-Dev] DGN: Reasons for play [was: EmergentBehaviorsspawnedfrom...]

Michael Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Tue Aug 23 21:51:43 CEST 2005

Tom Hunter wrote:

> Very interesting comments, I'm not questioning your accuracy, but
> I wonder how you got the insider perspective.  A little context
> would be helpful when your releasing so much good information.

Tom, a few points relevant to my earlier post.

I was at Maxis during the last stages of The Sims development and
was the lead designer on The Sims 2 after The Sims was released.
What I've said here came from my experiences at EA, but I haven't
said anything that hasn't been said before by other people who were
there (i.e., I don't believe I've released any sensitive data).

On the psychological and neurological side, my degree and background
is in cognitive science with an emphasis in functional neuroscience
and cognitive psychology.  This has bled over into AI including an
examination of biological, psychological, and culturally based
gender differences.  (FWIW, there are equally staggering cultural
differences in how people think -- something we almost universally
underestimate, being steeped in and surrounded by our own home
culture.)

Finally, being an older married guy with experience in other
industries has provided me with a different perspective on games,
gameplay, and the games industry than I might otherwise have.

Hope that helps.

Mike Sellers