[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Digest, Vol 27, Issue 9

Dread Quixadhal quixadhal at chartermi.net
Wed Aug 24 06:14:45 CEST 2005

Ximon <ximon at mindmuse.net> wrote:

> For example, I would like the formula to determine if an attack
> actually strikes the intended target to include modifcations based
> on the weapon skill of the attacker, the shield (if used_ and
> evade skills of the defender, the physical dexterity of the
> attacker, the reflex of the defender, a random D100 roll, etc.

> In pen/paper gaming I would just create a lookup chart for skill
> vs attack (a 12 reflex gives -5 to the die roll, etc) but that
> seems like a clunky way to do it with the power of the computer at
> my hands.

There are probably two main approaches to this kind of thing.  One
is to try various complex algorithms with all the modifiers for
various conditions.  Code it, then setup encounters where you (as a
human) can intuit the likely outcome and see how often your
algorithm agrees with you.  Once you're happy with the results, know
that if you introduce changes to the combat system (perhaps you
initially only took shields into account, and then later add a spell
that conjures a magical chain which hooks onto your attackers weapon
and limits their reach), you'll likely have to revisit the
algorithms here to adjust them.

The other is, make the pen and paper rules, and play through a
similar setup encounter and see if the dice and tables work as
intended.  Once you're happy with those, you can always do the math
to convert them from tables to formulae if you want or need
fractional results (or just don't want limited top or bottom ends).
The advantage is that your code will have simpler (albeit not as
accurate perhaps) rules that won't need to be adjusted as often, and
if you decide to play your game on paper, you've already done that
work.

Simple is usually better.  The more complex something is, the harder
it is to fix when you discover it doesn't model something quite
right... and the more horsepower you'll use up on every swing when
you hit it big time and have 250 players on at all hours. *grin*