[MUD-Dev] DGN: Random questions about griefers

Peter Harkins ph at malaprop.org
Wed Aug 24 17:44:41 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 11:24:46AM +0930, Mike Rozak wrote:
> Peter harkins wrote:

>> As a small mud, we've dealt with the problem by toading
>> griefers. Toaded players can use all commands as usual except no
>> one but them sees the output. To them it will appear that every
>> say, snip...

> I suppose I could even put them in their own private instance, or
> an instance populated by griefers. Don't people realise they've
> been toaded and just create a new user account?

None yet have realized they're toaded, though we've only had to use
it a few times so far. I know we didn't invent the idea of the toad
command, so hopefully someone with more experience will pipe up.

Most griefers have only been toaded a few minutes until an admin
with IP-banning access came along. I think the longest one stuck
around was 15 minutes or so. If we don't have an admin to ban them,
they tend to wander off because it looks like they've just failed to
affect anyone.

It probably helps that we don't advertise toading. It's mentioned in
the "punishment" helpfile, but we don't crow about using it when we
do. If we did, griefers would probably realize they're toaded when
people stop telling them to shut up. Then we'd be toading their next
account, and so on...

>> If we were larger, I'd want to detect and block proxied
>> connections.

> How would this help exactly? Is that people who are griefing go
> through proxies so their ISP can't be contacted? I assume that to
> identify a proxy server you just keep a blacklist of their IP
> addresses?

This would help by cutting down the number of IPs we'd need to ban
to ensure a griefer stays away. Proxy detection is a matter of
making a connection back to their IP on well-known proxy ports. I
believe blacklists do exist, though I haven't really looked into it.

- --
Peter Harkins    -    ph at malaprop.org    -    http://malaprop.org