[MUD-Dev] DGN: Random questions about griefers

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Fri Aug 26 00:18:20 CEST 2005

Peter harkins wrote:

> Most griefers have only been toaded a few minutes until an admin
> with IP-banning access came along. I think the longest one stuck
> around was 15 minutes or so. If we don't have an admin to ban
> them, they tend to wander off because it looks like they've just
> failed to affect anyone.

OK, so they're only toaded for a short while. I thought it was as
permanent switch that was left on until the griefers got bored a few
weeks later.

You mention "IP banning". How useful is that? Don't people's IP's
tend to change from session to session?

> This would help by cutting down the number of IPs we'd need to ban
> to ensure a griefer stays away. Proxy detection is a matter of
> making a connection back to their IP on well-known proxy ports. I
> believe blacklists do exist, though I haven't really looked into
> it.

Do you know of anyplace on the web that has more detail about this?

Thanks

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au