[MUD-Dev] Formulae Generation

Ximon ximon at mindmuse.net
Thu Aug 25 16:51:27 CEST 2005

Pandora wrote:
> Ximon wrote:

>> I envision a more dynamic system that understands that 12 reflex
>> gives a 15 to 25% chance that the defender will evade, and the
>> higher the number, the less 'punch' actually hits the target,
>> (and thereby modifies the forthcoming damage roll).... and things
>> like that.

> How the Final Fantasy people do it is they have two variable
> switches: physical/magical and
> attack/defense/accuracy/evade. Physical is like, swords and
> magical is like, Firaga. Attack is how hard you hit, defense is
> how less hard others hit, accuracy is how well you can hit things,
> and evade is whether you get hit at all.  They pair off, their
> attack - your defense = your damage, their accuracy - your evade =
> your likelihood of being hit.

> And yes, usually there's some randomness to it. Best to have a
> threshold beyond which the outcome is certain, but for border
> conditions have a coin toss count somewhat.  A 12 "reflex" (or
> physical evade) out of what, 99? 255?

I like the idea of having specific variables 'complement' each
other. That might make the overall process a lot easier.  I'll put
some thought into that.

  (and just for info's sake, in my system, 100 is a 'soft cap' for
  skills/stats. They can GO higher, but increase in difficulty
  logarithmically.)

> Realistically, you might have different damage to the different
> body parts, but generally that's considered way overboard in a
> MUD, where your "body" is just a paragraph of descriptive text
> with associated object.  Another thing might be to reduce damage
> if they hit, but the accuracy - evade + randomness is very low,
> like a glancing blow or what.

This isn't unreasonable, in my system.  I don't just have a text
paragraph body.  The body has a metabolism, which, on a timer,
processes substances that can be injested or injected into the blood
stream.  These substances do a myriad nice and nasty things to the
player.  However, even I don't think that different damage to each
body part could be quite cumbersome to manage.  I do like the idea,
though, of 'glancing blows'.

> Realistically, most people either die or are incapacitated by the
> first sword stroke, or bullet wound. I think "Thief" had some of
> the most realistic combat dynamics I've seen anywhere.  (That is,
> you spend the entire game sneaking around and hitting people on
> the back of the head.)

Loved that game.  One of the first DECENT implementations of what
thieving should be all about.

I still think that a more dynamic formula then compare A to B, C to
D, etc *should* be possible.  I've done *some* .... but it means
every formula is going to have to be custom tweaked until it's as
realistic as possible.

Thanks for the ideas, though... gonna kick this around some more.

Simon