[MUD-Dev] Formulae Generation

Eli Stevens (WG.c) listsub at wickedgrey.com
Sun Aug 28 03:49:35 CEST 2005

Ximon wrote:

> Well, this particular "iteration", I'm actually trying to design
> combat and magic systems.  I am getting stuck trying to come up
> with formulae that accurately reflect a 'to hit' roll, a damage
> roll, that kind of thing....

> For example, I would like the formula to determine if an attack
> actually strikes the intended target to include modifcations based
> on the weapon skill of the attacker, the shield (if used_ and
> evade skills of the defender, the physical dexterity of the
> attacker, the reflex of the defender, a random D100 roll, etc.

...[snip]...

> Any suggestions as to how to create these kinds of formulae?  Am I
> being too complex for a mud?  As I said before, this is more of a
> hobby and I'm more into mapping 'realistic systems' than creating
> something that "approximates close enough".

Here's a rough outline of a system that I think would work well
enough:

Every contested action in the game is going to have modifiers for
and against the action happening.  These modifiers are summed, and a
random point in the total range is selected.  Where this point falls
determines the result of the action.  Ex:

  Buffy swings her sword at an Orc:
  - Sword skill of 15
  - Agility of 10 (to counter dodge)

  The Orc has:
  - Agility of 12 (for dodge)
  - A shield with a block of 7

  In general:
  - The orc is out of the optimal range for the sword: 3

Random(1 .. 47) is taken; 1-15 means a solid sword hit, 16-37 is a
glancing blow of some kind (not sure how the mechanics of this would
work, but it's Buffy's and the Orc's agility), 38-44 means the Orc
takes the hit on it's shield, and 45-47 means the Orc moved out of
range.

If the hit lands, then sword sharpness, Buffy's strength, the Orc's
armor, toughness, etc. all determine how much damage is done.  If
the Orc moves out of range, then Buffy will have to close the
distance.

Of course, the real work is in figuring out what numbers to plug
into the system.  But once you do, explaining it to your users (at
whatever level of detail you want) is pretty easy.  It also avoids
the "percent of percent" confusion (I'm seeing a little of this in
WoW): if your have a critical hit chance of 10%, and you have an
ability that increases your critical hit chance by 10%, does that
mean 11% or 20%?  With this kind of system, you can just say "gives
an extra 3 points to critical."

It also allows you to add small bonuses and penalties - high ground?
+3 to hit.  Attacker on a patch of slime?  A 5 point chance to slip
and fall.  Etc.

Eli