[MUD-Dev] DGN: Random questions about griefers

Tess Snider malkyne at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 11:05:30 CEST 2005

On 8/26/05, Mike Rozak <Mike at mxac.com.au> wrote:

> You mention "IP banning". How useful is that? Don't people's IP's
> tend to change from session to session?

IP Banning (aka "sitelocking") is usually used on a small block of
IPs, rather than a single IP.  It has always been a bit
touch-and-go, since A.) yes, people do change IPs, and B.) you
always run the risk of blocking another innocent player by accident.
I found that it was most useful when there was a site with a
distinct block of IPs that was quite clearly a source from whence
you wanted no further connections, whatsoever.  For example, if
you're receiving problem connections from a grade school, it is
entirely appropriate to block the range of IP addresses belonging to
that school, because it's highly unlikely that there is anybody
legitimately using your service from there.  I have seen this used
very effectively, in such a case.

Tess