[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Study of MMORPG/MUD friendliness

Bob Kovalchick bob at sheilaoop.com
Thu Feb 10 14:00:04 CET 2005

Spot wrote:

> I myself do try to be polite, especially for those that are doing
> the random acts of kindness, as there is so much of the opposite
> behavior, I'd be sure to at least shout out "Thx!" if I were in a
> hurry to get somewhere, but I do think your onto something as far
> as UI design and kindness go.

Often, by the time I notice a gift or compliment they have gone on
their way, and/or are 'out of range'. UI comes into play here. Also,
sometimes someone may be trying to communicate with you but your
avatar is facing the wrong way. Sure, it may be coming up in chat
but now with graphics and a GUI interaction with the world (and
communication) is based more on visual cues. The issues raised
wouldn't have been a problem in text-based MUDs since all
interaction required you to read the 'chat'.

> So people are just poor typers, or they simply can't walk-and-talk
> at the same time (they use the arrow keys rather than the games
> "run" features), so they view talking as a tedious activity.  But
> maybe if the game offered a quick hot-key for acknowledgement for
> kindness, and actually "trained" users to use it in some type of
> newbie quest, then you may get more of a show of thanks.

I've always had a problem with controlling my avatar and typing in
chat. UI design is very important for me in this regard. I've spent
alot of time trying to standardize my macros so I can be ready for
common situations with a proper /emote and "Thanks!".

Hmmm....has anyone formally studied standardized communication
(/emotes too) in MMORPGs. Surely there is lots of work on electronic
mediated communication, but something beyond LOL, IMHO,
etc. Something closer to regularly used comments and /emotes in
MMORPGs?

Bob K.