[MUD-Dev] Homogeneity and choice (Was DESIGN: Why do people likeweather in MMORPGs?)

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Mon Feb 14 02:49:55 CET 2005

Corey Cauble wrote:

> I would agree with this. I would also add that I do not like the
> fact that you are not able to have a completely trade based
> character. This forces players into a specific role of killing
> monsters for experience.  They have taken it a step further with
> level requirements to progress past certain trade levels. For
> instance if you wish get to the highest level of mining you need
> to gain level 35 by questing or killing.

> This is basically forcing the world into one dimension. Trade is
> just there to facilitate your ability to make a little money
> and/or your ability to more effectively kill monsters.

But it's the main design point. Crafting isn't a world by itself,
all in WoW is extremely focused. The game is pulverized into
thousands of mini-goals. You choose what you want to achieve and you
can choose to focus on something or something else.

It's not "forced" into one dimension. It's "built" into one
dimension. You may choose to craft or not but you'll never choose to
not gain levels. If you don't "agree" with this type of design you
probably will choose another game to play.

WoW doesn't try to do everything, to fill all the spaces. Instead
it's an extremely focused game where this same focus makes its
success.

The tradeskills are a cohesive part of the treadmill, like the
mounts, the items etc... The game doesn't even try to 'broaden' the
gameplay (Ubiq wrote about this on his blog). What it does is about
adding more different goals that will help the fun through a
variation.

-HRose / Abalieno