[MUD-Dev] Musings on ad-hoc social connectivity as a realtime meta-game

Cynbe ru Taren cynbe-dated-1109093341.d2e837 at muq.org
Thu Feb 17 18:29:01 CET 2005

J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu> writes:

> I wrote this a long time ago (thing 2002 era) and never really
>   Implement a resource economy which is based on human attention.

>   Instead of the ability to do a particular activity being primarily
>   based on character stats (how many Hps?), environmental object
>   stats (how strong is the tree), or typical available resource
>   limits (mana etc), instead base it on two factors:

>     -- The level of support the individual has from others currently
>     playing who are within a range R where R may be a function of
>     the remote player's location.  Call this "support".

>     -- The number of players currently viewing the event (ie they
>     are within visual range and it is determined as thus being
>     within their active conciousness).  Call this "charge".

Sounds like a model of open source software development to me:

    "support" == coders contributing to your project.
    "viewers" == users downloading your software.

The more support you have, the more coding you can achieve.  The
more group excitement you generate, the more downloads you get.

The grandest massively multiplayer online game of all?  :)

Only semi-kidding,
  -- Cynbe