[MUD-Dev] On grouping, thoughts

Jason Downs downsj at downsj.com
Mon Feb 14 20:02:41 CET 2005

In message <5.1.0.14.0.20050209153721.00bd7980 at mail.earthlink.net>,
Douglas Goodall writes:
> John Buehler wrote:

>> And so on.  Actually, why hasn't anyone interfaced their game
>> with an existing chat system, or integrated a Trillian type
>> system?  Reliability?  Licensing issues?  Technical issues?

> I think some MMORPGs use IRC for their chat.  There is kind of a
> "Trillian" for games:

>   http://www.xfire.com/xf/index.php

It doesn't look like that actually interfaces to any games, rather
it's just a standalone IM system.  That's just from looking at the
site, though.  The screen shot looks kind of obvious that's a
standalone system...

There was an EverQuest plugin for Trillian, but I don't know if it
still works.  The plugin interfaced directly with the EQ chat system
via the "EQIM" protocol.

There used to be a few IRC bots on EQ, interfaced via IRC-EQIM
gateways.  One in particular could respond with item statistics if
you sent it a /tell.

--
Jason Downs
downsj at downsj.com

  "Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge,
   and where is the knowledge we have lost in information." -- T.S. Eliot