[MUD-Dev] Metric vs. English System of Measurement in Games

olag at ifi.uio.no olag at ifi.uio.no
Fri Jan 7 13:34:37 CET 2005

Adam M wrote:

> Similarly, feet are much more convenient to measure distances less
> than your total reach / height + reach than metres are because a
> metre is only measurable if you have a one-metre ruler or have
> memorised your height in centimetres.

This is fortunately a myth. You can quite accurately measure
distance by 1 meter steps. Try to do the same with feet, bloody
tedious and you are lucky if you don't stumble!!

Another unit which I can estimate fairly accurate is that of A4
paper. Our body is not our only prototypical measure. A4 is one of
the most pervasive units in my culture. I am surrounded by things of
size A4. When I see a laptop I always compare it to A4. When I buy a
bag I compare it to A4.  When I try to figure out something in the
20cm range I always think about A4. Actually, A4 is so pervasive
that is rather refreshing when you get objects that break the
standard!! Unfortunately, things that aren't A4-compatible are a
nuisance too...

However, when it comes to larger distances then I believe the
prototypes becomes rather personal. For instance:

  50 meters is the length of the school yard of my old school.
  13 meters is the height of the old barn at my familiy's farm.
  200 meters is the distance down to the main road.

Ola.