[MUD-Dev] Homogeneity and choice (Was DESIGN: Why do people like weather in MMORPGs?)

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Sun Jan 9 08:56:14 CET 2005

John Bueler wrote:

> As with any action that the player has an opportunity to engage
> in, I'd encourage any designers to examine the simple task of
> changing gear to make it as entertaining as possible - if they're
> going to retain it as a regular action for a player.

I agree in theory, except I can concoct examples where individual
parts of an experience are not fun, but they contribute to the
whole. For a silly example: Logging into a virtual world is not the
least bit fun or entertaining, but without it, the rest wouldn't be
possible.

> I don't believe this to be a case of attention spans, nor of
> patience.  I believe this to be a case of giving a customer value
> for their money.  If customers are unhappy that the pass is
> blocked, then somehow the game's entertainment has flaws in its
> structure.  By definition.

In WoW I have a 16th level character and I'm unhappy that I can't
wander anywhere I want in the world. I understand that the designers
put the monsters in it for both fun (although I don't find them too
fun) and as a challenge to slow me from reaching my goal to world
exploration too quickly.

In general, I see where you're coming from and am letting the
concepts filter through my brain. I'm not sure how I want to handle
weather, etc. In the end, I don't know if I'll agree or disagree
with your conclusions, but your comments will go into the mix.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au