[MUD-Dev] The Root of the Tree (was NEWS: Why Virtual Worlds ...)

olag at ifi.uio.no olag at ifi.uio.no
Thu Jan 13 01:02:48 CET 2005

David Kennerly:

> So, too, a term is useful for our domain of discussion.  It
> needn't be just one, as you point out.  Many.  Just as there are
> varieties terms for red wine, the more descriptive terms for MUDs,
> the merrier.  Each has its subtle hue and texture.

So you basically agree with my claim that out-of-context use of the
term "virtual world" should just denote worlds that are virtual and
to caputure say gaming MUDs you would have to use both "multi-user
virtual world" and "online role-playing game"?

Or not?

> or to know what's right for everyone.  Actually, come to think of
> it, the term "computer-mediated community" is more like a
> pocket-size description, rather than a term.  It's certainly
> longer and less sexy than "virtual world."  Yet, the term
> "computer-mediated community" does capture a couple of the salient
> features of our domain of discussion.

It is usually called "online community". You are probably thinking
of "computer-mediated communication". MUD-Dev is an online community
and so are groups using IM, so maybe that is a bit too broad?

> so to that extent, I use it.  And of course when I want to sound
> important, why would I say "computer-mediated community" (or
> MUD--for that matter) when I could say "virtual world"?

Because "MUD" is shorter, more fun and show that you aren't a
newbie?

People who wanted to to sound important used to say "virtual
reality" or "collaborative virtual environments".

Ola.