[MUD-Dev] Metric vs. English System of Measurement in Games

Zach Collins (Siege) siegemail at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 05:26:04 CET 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 23:35:32 +0100 (CET), olag at ifi.uio.no
<olag at ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> 93 = "[tre] og en [halv] [fems]" = "[three] and a [half] [five
> score]" = [3] - [0.5*20] + [5*20]

Allow me to convert this into what my American mind thinks you've
written:

(3) - (0.5*20) + (5*20) = "three less a half-score, and five score"

  "three and a half five-score" without vocal emphasis = (3.5) *
  (5*20)

This phrasing emphasizes certain amounts (five, a half) as being
natural groupings of twenty, where I would have wanted to write
"four and a half score and three" if I wanted to emphasize the
twenties.  Definitely a new way for me to look at these numbers.

--
Zach Collins (Siege)