[MUD-Dev] Homogeneity and choice (Was DESIGN: Why do people like weather in MMORPGs?)

Paolo Piselli ppiselli at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 20:28:14 CET 2005

--- Wayne Witzke <wayne.witzke at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does this really make sense, though?  I mean, people don't just
> consume entertainment to be "happy" all the time.

I think your are taking the suggestion too literally. Of course a
game will have moments of suspense, anxiety, etc. to match the more
positive experiences. However, a "low point" in the experience
doesn't to me mean "negative emotion".  If we were to think of the
user experience as a multi-dimensional signal, I would equate a "low
point" with "low amplitude" - i.e. "not much of emotional or
cognitive interest happening". Things both virtual and IRL that
would fall into this category: sitting in traffic, travelling the
long way around a mountain range because the pass has been blocked
by a weather effect, clicking a button every few minutes to "craft"
items, sitting around waiting for a spawn, putting covers on TPS
reports, etc. Perhaps "lull in the player experience" would be a
better term.

-Paolo

=====
Paolo Piselli