[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: IGDA Persistent Worlds White Paper

Daniel James d at djames.org
Wed Jan 19 20:51:56 CET 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Alistair Milne wrote:

> The IGDA have done a reasonably in-depth study of the business of
> making a Persistent World game.

>  http://www.igda.org/online/IGDA_PSW_Whitepaper_2004.pdf

It's worth noting that this paper was (as with most IGDA papers and
endeavours) the work of a group of volunteers, including the
illustrious Mr Kennnerly of mud-dev notoriety. Although I'm fairly
pleased with how it came out, there are many areas of weakness and
great room for further development.

Please drop me an email if you're interested in contributing. We
would love to have more volunteer contributions for both the
forthcoming update and the next year's paper, for which we might
even change the name;

In the VW-naming thread, On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, David Kennerly wrote:
> Raph Koster wrote:

>> I note with chagrin that the new IGDA Online report uses the term
>> "persistent state world" despite the fact that most of the
>> commercial games do not actually have a world state is that is
>> persistent. :)

> Oh, they're persistent alright.  Just look at your credit card
> bill.  :)

> I wonder how intentional the alliteration and wordplay was in the
> title for the Persistent Worlds White Paper.  Its acronym forms a
> palindrome: PWWP.

Mostly unintentional, like most good alliteration.

I too find the PSW thing troublesome. I inherited the title and
couldn't think of a better one. The IGDA MMORPG White Paper?
No. Back to your debate... but not on this thread!

- Daniel