[SPAM] Re: [MUD-Dev] DESIGN: WoW quests and content

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Fri Jan 28 20:27:15 CET 2005

On Behalf Of Travis Nixon

> It's not that the quests are very well-written (they're not), or
> that the stories are incredibly engaging (they're not).  We're
> talking middle-of-the-road traditional fantasy quest fare,
> here. Maybe slightly better than most MMORPG fare, but not
> significantly. So it's not that.

A couple other things that make the WoW quests interesting.

-They are easy to find. Big bright arrows over people s head means I
don't have to hit every single dwelling in a city and talk to every
single person to get something to do every level. I'll own up to it,
I love to log in and have a list of things to do today and so much
the better when they aren't hard to find.

-They are sequential. The quests lead me around by the nose very
well and they integrate together very well. I can generally do a
couple at the same time and a couple more on the way to where I'm
going and on the way back.

The sense of accomplishment is great. In WoW I find that I do
nothing but quest and really my levels just seem to follow along. In
EQ2 I had a similar experience yet the time involved to attain,
arrive at and complete them was too great. The sense of
accomplishment quickly became a sense of work.

Dana V. Baldwin
a.k.a. "Gophur"
Producer
World War II Online