[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Digest, Vol 20, Issue 16

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Sat Jan 29 12:15:09 CET 2005

According to Dread Quixadhal:

> The types of quests tend to break down like this:

>  Kill N type-X mobs and return to me (sometimes bringing proof)

>  Gather N things and bring them to me

>  Deliver X to mob Y

>  Explore area X and report back to me (sometimes with a cutscene)

>  Escort mob X to area Y (this one is unique to WoW I think, has
>  been in MUD's and desktops forever)

There's other MMO that have had escort quests. Everquest has had
some since its Plane of Powers expansion, over 2 years ago. One of
the earliest "flags" that enable access to additional zones is an
escort quest.

WoW has additional nices ones, including some that are well
integrated in the world.  One has been dubbed the "Indiana Jones
quest". It's a shaman quest, in which, at one point, you end on a
mountaintop. No exit anywhere in sight, no mobs to fight, no
nothing.  You just have to have faith and jump. 2m above ground,
plop, you get teleported to safety.

  (IMHO, they really should have let you an escape route, and you'd
  get a failure if you take the coward's way, but WoW's quests are
  like most games', they cannot be failed. You can take six months,
  and it's still not failed)

There's others that take advantage of the in-game features. WoW has
an email system. You can send emails to any player on your side, and
you can also attach items, including CoD (nice for trading). One of
the quests has you finding a book someone is interested. You find
the book, turn it in to the NPC, who gives you off some thanks and
all... and after a couple of days, you find in your mailbox the
translated book and a note from the NPC that asks you to come back
and discuss about the book.

> the occasional surprise and quite a bit of humor buried inside.  I
> got a chuckle from the nurse mob named "Michelle Belle", which I'm
> hoping is named for the Beatles song.  I laughed my a** off when I
> encounterd the Fearbot 4000 mechanical harvester in the human
> farmlands.

The game is chockfull of easter eggs like that one.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)