[MUD-Dev] Subjective test facilities

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 14:48:37 CEST 2005

The Electronics department in which I teach computer game design
(don't ask) is constructing a subjective test facility. The pressure
to do this comes from the audio and video groups, who want to make
use of the department's strength in networking to see how various
forms of compression and streaming affect users' perception of
quality over different physical networks.  I was asked if there
might be interest in extending this to cover computer games played
over the network, so I thought I'd see what you thought.

Would developers be interested in being able to observe the effects
of lag, latency, audio and video degradation under their direct
control in laboratory conditions? Or is knowing the ping enough?

Richard