DGN: Emergent Behaviors spawned from - Re: [MUD-Dev]SOC:Willcompany sanctioned cheating hurt theMMOcommunity?

cruise cruise at casual-tempest.net
Tue Jul 26 10:44:16 CEST 2005

Amanda Walker spake thusly...
> On Jul 22, 2005, at 3:19 PM, Michael Hartman wrote:

>> My friend, you just said a mouthful. This whole "raid" phenomenon
>> that has infected MMOs since EQ has gotten completely out of
>> control. [...] You can barely even talk to any friends that might
>> be with you on the raid because the nature of such an activity
>> causes it to be gogogogogo.

> Raids are minigames (roughly speaking, a "Counterstrike in armor"
> minigame in most MMORPGs).  Some people play MMOs only for
> raids--I know of one guild that has gone from game to game (EQ to
> AC to DAOC to WoW to wherever) specifically in search of PvP
> raids.  That "gogogogogo" is exactly what they are looking for.
> They use teamspeak instead of ingame chat, they have a strictly
> hierarchical "military squad" style of gameplay (many members are,
> in fact, ex military), and all of the rest of any MMO is back
> story.  "Leveling up" a new character is just an extension of the
> initial character creation screen, and the whole guild cooperates
> to make it as swift as possible so that the new character can be
> used for "real" game play.

> The issue, to my mind, is not raids per se.  Raids are clearly fun
> for a large number of players (and the success of Counter-strike
> supports this, I think).  Rather, when raids are the *only* type
> of high end content, you end up selecting for only that subset
> that likes raids, and some achievers who just have to collect
> every item in the game.

If it were more like CS, it might be better - from the reviews I've
seen of WoW:Battlegrounds this seems to be heading in the right
direction - with goals that aren't just kill-the-mob-with-stupid-hp.

Guild Wars also seems to be heading in this direction - where you
don't even have to level up to play the "high-end" game.

It's nice to see games moving away from the current cliches of
mainstream MMO, even if only a little.

--
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
  "quantam sufficit"