DGN: Emergent Behaviors spawned from - Re: [MUD-Dev]SOC:Willcompany sanctioned cheating hurt theMMOcommunity?

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Thu Jul 28 00:21:27 CEST 2005

cruise wrote:

> If it were more like CS, it might be better - from the reviews
> I've seen of WoW:Battlegrounds this seems to be heading in the
> right direction - with goals that aren't just
> kill-the-mob-with-stupid-hp.

> Guild Wars also seems to be heading in this direction - where you
> don't even have to level up to play the "high-end" game.

> It's nice to see games moving away from the current cliches of
> mainstream MMO, even if only a little.

WoW hasn't moved away from the cliches at all. It has refined
them. The PvP is dramatically inferior to both DAoC and Shadowbane,
and certainly cannot approach the feeling of Counterstrike and its
ilk.

It really is little more than a new way to farm. You kill each other
back and forth for honor points that eventually gives you the right
to buy PvP gear from a vendor. This is a huge step backwards, imho,
from DAoC and Shadowbane.

As for Guild Wars: I only have a little experience with it, but the
way levels worked there was interesting. Unfortunately, the non-PvP
gameplay part (which is still somewhat required) left a LOT to be
desired imho. It also lacks a lot of modern developments in
interface design, and MMO design. For example, 100% of goods are
sold by people just standing around yelling. That doesn't work very
well.

--
Michael Hartman, J.D. (http://www.thresholdrpg.com)
President & CEO, Threshold Virtual Environments, Inc.