DGN: Emergent Behaviors spawned from - Re: [MUD-Dev]SOC:Willcompany sanctioned cheating hurt theMMOcommunity?

cruise cruise at casual-tempest.net
Thu Jul 28 14:03:41 CEST 2005

Michael Hartman spake thusly...

> WoW hasn't moved away from the cliches at all. It has refined
> them. The PvP is dramatically inferior to both DAoC and
> Shadowbane, and certainly cannot approach the feeling of
> Counterstrike and its ilk.

> It really is little more than a new way to farm. You kill each
> other back and forth for honor points that eventually gives you
> the right to buy PvP gear from a vendor. This is a huge step
> backwards, imho, from DAoC and Shadowbane.

Fair enough - I haven't actually played it - as I said, that was
based on just the reviews I'd read. *shrug*

> As for Guild Wars: I only have a little experience with it, but
> the way levels worked there was interesting. Unfortunately, the
> non-PvP gameplay part (which is still somewhat required) left a
> LOT to be desired imho. It also lacks a lot of modern developments
> in interface design, and MMO design. For example, 100% of goods
> are sold by people just standing around yelling. That doesn't work
> very well.

Oh yeah, there's lots of issues with it - my point was that removing
the necessity to level is actually considered radical in some
quarters and while it isn't, it is still one small step in the right
direction, even if there are lots of steps the other direction :P

--
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
  "quantam sufficit"