[MUD-Dev] Dgn: Currency free game [was: Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population]

Damien Neil damien.neil at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 01:25:23 CEST 2005

On 6/11/05, Allan Hill <aiki_student at yahoo.com> wrote:

> A compromise situation would be to provide all the common
> financial institutions (banks, shops, etc.), but to allow each
> town to define the commodity that will be used as currency.
> Within the township, all prices are listed in those units.

Yes, were I building a game with a player-managed currency system,
that's what I would do.  Each town's government would have the
ability to create a single currency and set up vendors that will
buy/sell items and services for currency.  Players could also create
vendors using the town's currency, but obviously couldn't create
currency directly.

          - Damien