[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Wed Jun 22 23:25:21 CEST 2005

Amanda Walker wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2005, at 11:12 AM, John Buehler wrote:

>> The shaping of metal in their crafting system is a novel first
>> step towards actual blacksmithing, which is where I'd like to see
>> things go.  The metal doesn't behave like metal, but it can be
>> 'worked' into various forms, and practice with their system makes
>> the player a better crafter.

> This still strikes me as a puzzle game, not a crafting game.  I
> would call "real" crafting a way to create a new object, where
> "new" means "new in design", not "new copy of standard template".

It sounds to me like you are deliberately pursuing this narrow
definition of crafting in order to exclude every other game that
doesn't do crafting like Second Life and its ilk.

Crafting is not just creating totally new items. Think about modern
society. The overwhelming majority of "crafting" is the creation of
copies of something that already exists. How many cars are unique?
Pretty much none. How many houses are totally unique? Only the most
expensive.

I could agree with you if you said a crafting system that allows new
items as well as copies of existing templates is better. But to say
crafting from templates is not crafting is just being deliberately
unfair in an effort to diminish other games on the market.

--
Michael Hartman
President and CEO, Threshold Virtual Environments, Inc.