[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Thu Jun 23 02:37:53 CEST 2005

Amanda Walker writes:
> On Jun 17, 2005, at 11:12 AM, John Buehler wrote:

>> The shaping of metal in their crafting system is a novel first
>> step towards actual blacksmithing, which is where I'd like to see
>> things go.  The metal doesn't behave like metal, but it can be
>> 'worked' into various forms, and practice with their system makes
>> the player a better crafter.

> This still strikes me as a puzzle game, not a crafting game.  I
> would call "real" crafting a way to create a new object, where
> "new" means "new in design", not "new copy of standard template".

> For example, a "real" crafting system should let me create and/or
> uploading textures and geometry for objects.  Consider, oh,
> leather armor.  Quite easy to paint and ornament in real life,
> even without this causing any change in combat effectiveness (not
> counting camouflage).  Or tattoos.  Or shield and tabard designs.
> Or housing/ guild halls...

You say "potato".

Though this list has a penchant for haggling over terms, I'm gonna
pass on this one.  I'll only offer a contrasting goal in that I
don't want to have to design anything.  I just want to build it.  I
may have some modest engineering problems before me, but it's having
the goal already defined and following an interesting construction
process that appeals to me.

I shudder to think what players would transfer into the game, given
sufficient creative freedom.

I look forward to the day when we both have what we want and we've
nailed down the terms for each form of entertainment :)

JB