[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

Damien Neil damien.neil at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 03:21:14 CEST 2005

On 6/19/05, Amanda Walker <amanda at alfar.com> wrote:

> For example, a "real" crafting system should let me create and/or
> uploading textures and geometry for objects.  Consider, oh,
> leather armor.  Quite easy to paint and ornament in real life,
> even without this causing any change in combat effectiveness (not
> counting camouflage).  Or tattoos.  Or shield and tabard designs.
> Or housing/ guild halls...

And a "real" combat system would involve picking up a sword or
reasonable facsimile thereof and swinging it at the foe.

One reason people like combat in games is that they can be a mighty
warrior without needing any of the skills a real warrior would
require.  Or be a wizard, which is a tad difficult in the real
world.=20 Or be a crafter without knowing how to craft.

It's certainly a fine and good thing to make a game where crafting
allows the application of player creativity.  This is not the be-all
and end-all of MMORPG crafting, however.

It might make sense to distinguish between player-created content
(artworks, puzzles, and other things made by the player), and player
crafting (game objects created by the player's avatar).