[MUD-Dev] Blog about GDC implies changes to MMORPG population

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Sat Jun 25 16:24:14 CEST 2005

On Jun 23, 2005, at 9:21 PM, Damien Neil wrote:

> And a "real" combat system would involve picking up a sword or
> reasonable facsimile thereof and swinging it at the foe.

Or at least some analogous process that involves the player's
choices and reaction time, yes.  Something like a fighting game, for
example.

> One reason people like combat in games is that they can be a
> mighty warrior without needing any of the skills a real warrior
> would require.

Sure.  But note how popular skill-based combat is in console games
(and how consistently criticized it is in MMORPGs), even though it's
a different set of skills.  The essence of combat isn't the weapon,
it's the contest.

> It might make sense to distinguish between player-created content
> (artworks, puzzles, and other things made by the player), and
> player crafting (game objects created by the player's avatar).

This is a reasonable distinction to make.  I would call the former
"crafting" and the latter "manufacturing" :-).

Amanda Walker