[MUD-Dev] Is content on demand bad?

olag at ifi.uio.no olag at ifi.uio.no
Thu Mar 3 10:44:01 CET 2005

Does the instant availability of an activity lead to addiction
through escapism?

Many addictive situations that can be detrimental for the invidiual
appears to be related to instant or effort-less availability:
gambling, alcohol, drugs, TV, MMOs...

But we can identify constructive counterparts:

  Gambling <-> investements in education, application for new jobs,
  starting your own business.

  Alcohol and drugs <-> exercise, dancing etc.

  TV <-> going to theatre and movies with friends.

What are the constructive counterparts for MMOs, and what can we borrow?

Some constructive counterparts:

  1. Table-top RPG with friends.
  2. Multiplayer board games.
  3. Art projects.
  4. Travelling.

Why are these less problematic than the MMO? I'd argue that they are
somewhat less problematic because they are organized as events. What
is the advantage of an event:

  1. You must plan for it.

  2. You look forward to it -> buildup of expectation and excitement
  -> more exhilarating/concentrated experience.

  3. The socialization is itensified and therefore more efficient.

  4. It provides closure. You are not lingering, hoping for a break-through.

So, this begs the question: should the MMOs' content be more focused
on providing events rather than content on demand? If they do (and I
know some MUDs do), what advantages would you get?

  1. Closing the gap between casual and hardcore

  2. More variety in the experiences

  3. Better evolution cycle as the success of an event is relatively
  easy to assess.

  4. ...

What kind of the design would be optimal? I'd propose a two-phased
iterative design:

  A. Week-day play involves preparation, socialization and planning for events.

  B. Week-end play involves executing the event.

Thoughts?

Ola.