[MUD-Dev] Attractive Grouping (Was: Focus vs. Scope)

Exar Kun exar_kun at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 20 06:14:39 CET 2005

olag at ifi.uio.no wrote:
> Leland Hulbert:

>> I've been wondering about a new experience point system, based on
>> "experiences."  A system where each person receives points for
>> doing something new.  Killing an orc gives you XP.  Killing
>> another doesn't, because it's not new.  Maybe killing an orc with
>> a sword will give you XP, and you can get more by killing an orc
>> with a club.

> I think this is a good idea for a MUD, might be difficult for a
> MMO because of the team-play requirement.

> But, wouldn't it be even better to just forget about XP and go for
> a skill based system? For instance, you are going to raid some
> castle guarded by orcs with clubs. So, first you need to get up
> your parry-orcs-with-clubs skill by locating NPCs with clubs, and
> fighting lonely orcs with clubs adds most to your skill.

A combination.  A skill based system which requires a certain
combination of skills to successfully navigate a particular
"dungeon".  In a class based system where skills are specifically
limited by class to different levels of ability (focusing on keeping
one class from infringing on the special skill set of another class
beyond lower level ability), a MMO gets what's needed.

Via XP, allow your players to buy special abilities available only
through XP expenditure, some of which will be specific to certain
classes and some that would be available to all classes.  For
example, I need a warrior to fight his way through the monsters, a
cleric to heal and resurrect my party members and a thief to pick
the lock on the door at the end of level 11 that leads to level 12.
I've never been to level 12 before, so who knows what goodies lie
beyond.

Allow characters to "party up" and as long as their characters carry
that party property, experience for killing monsters is split
amongst the party members.  This allows thieves and clerics to be
more "support" characters while allowing the group to benefit from
all the action.  Also, instead of just 1 character cranking up his
experience level by thrashing a dungeon, you raise the experience
level of 3 characters, but at a greatly reduced rate, thus helping
to control inflation.  And I just want to mention again the
importance of allowing other classes to play support roles in combat
situation while rewarding them, even though they are not personally
engaging the enemy.  This kind of system allows bards to become
useful beyond being socializers.  Wizards can feel useful pumping up
the fighters instead of feeling the need to come in with direct
damage spells.  Thieves can run off screen long enough to hide and
stealth up for a back-stab.

After the adventure, one or more party members might have enough
experience to buy a new ability (d20 games call them FEATS) such as
Horseback Riding, allowing players to automatically ride a tamed
horse; Mounted Combat, forcing characters out of warmode while
mounted unless they have this ability; Maim Enemy, etc, etc.

Maybe a wider scope than you were looking for.