[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: The game with a thousand faces

Kiztent Hatepriest kiztent at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 15:54:34 CEST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:47:17 +0930, Mike Rozak <Mike at mxac.com.au>
wrote:

> Can all the uniformity really be blamed on "my venture-capitalist
> made me do it"? Is there a single, deep local minima in the human
> psyche that causes almost all VWs to be fundamentally identical?
> Or are we so blind that we can't see/predict other local minimas
> without stumbling into them?

This mirrors the development curve seen in the pen and paper RPG
community.  It was AD&D or... AD&D for a long time.  With the rise
of other systems, certain of the preconceptions were overthrown.
I'm not in touch with the P&P RPG community enough to know, but when
I was, AD&D was still the most popular game... for whatever reason.