[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Loot on demand (was: Will company sanctioned cheating hurt theMMOcommunity?)

Freeman, Jeff jfreeman at soe.sony.com
Tue May 10 17:34:38 CEST 2005

Chris Richards wrote:

> Does this extend to strategy guides?  Fan sites?  Have you=20 used
> a fan site to lookup how to solve a quest, find an NPC,=20 or see
> the drop rate for a specific item?

I've been thinking that since players go to fan-sites to look-up
where and how to obtain specific items, a better quest system ought
to deliver the functionality that the players want.

When you want a magic sword, you go to a website and find out where
there's a sword for you to get. We could eliminate that sort of
thing by putting it in game: A seer or soothsayer sort of NPC that
you tell what you want, and they gaze into a crystal ball and tell
you who you gotta kill.

I kind of like the idea of eliminating "Just do quests 'til you
finally get something you want" and "Just look it up on a website"
and even "Just do it over and over 'til you win."