[SPAM] Re: [MUD-Dev] SOC: Will company sanctioned cheating hurttheMMOcommunity?

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Wed May 18 19:19:56 CEST 2005

David Wright wrote:
> On 5/17/05, John Buehler <johnbue at msn.com>  wrote:

>> I'm glad you like the general idea.  Remember that as soon as you
>> give some rope to your players, they will start eyeing nearby
>> trees limbs and other players' necks.  In other words, think of
>> all the unpleasant things that could be written into an item's
>> history - whether intentionally unpleasant or not.  I was hinting
>> at that problem when I included the player name "Dave Rulz
>> Everyone".

> Granted of course, some would consider this is all additional
> 'unneccessary' development work on top of what would be considered
> normal base systems and content. But I would guess that there is
> already a varying amount of logging taking place within a system,
> this merely logs it differently, put's into a lore context and
> makes it more available to the players.

We do something similar using the dbase and canned "Mad Libs" if you
will. This type of system is realy nice for making context based
reports. For insance we create a daily newspaper using this system
and its very easy to add new story outlines that are submitted from
the community or a community subset.

I believe a system like this could be used for your item managment
where individual stories of varying length could be added to the
overall description based on the flags for the item iteslf.

  - sword
  - fire
  - xtra damage
  - most notorious owner
  - etc ad nauseum

Could result in several different paragraphs that could be linked
together and generated automatically. Similarly you could allow the
creator or posessor to add to or delete these templates.

I was first going to suggest a community moderated wiki type of
system but as noted earlier, you really don't want to have to police
any of this stuff. As always, poorly designed or implemented
features are the reason CS exists. Try and write it out whenever you
can.