[MUD-Dev] DGN: Lords, Vassals, Serfs and the Clergy

Jaycen Rigger jaycen.rigger at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 13 08:29:05 CEST 2005

Rayzam <rayzam at travellingbard.com> wrote:

> I'm confused by what I read as conflicting statements. If
> administrators/GMs choosing a ruler is inherently bad, then how is
> GMs choosing clergy who gets to choose the ruler any different,
> other than being removed 1 step?

That's an excellent question.  The reason is checks and balances.
If a GM picks the Ruler then all the players have to live with
someone whom the Administrators forced on them.  They will
inherently resent that, especially if the Ruler makes any mistakes.

If the GMs choose the initial Head Priest (remember just the first
one, then the system allows for that to change within the game
through the players), then they distribute the administrative power
in a more subtle way.  The Priests make the choice as to whom they
will Annoint or Excommunicate, and the Priests need their followers
(tithing, faith, things I haven't even touched on in this paper).

In this way players have an influence on who is and isn't a ruler.
The direct player power of a democracy is removed, and with it the
chaos of trying to manage a democracy of hundreds or thousands of
people, most of whom are really too young to make well-thought-out
decisions.

It creates levels of power that filter up and down through the
system.

Thanks,

Jaycen