[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Loot on demand (was: Will company sanctionedcheating hurt theMMOcommunity?)

Mike Shaver mike.shaver at gmail.com
Wed May 18 16:28:30 CEST 2005

On 5/17/05, Matt Owen <Matt.Owen at aviva.com> wrote:
> Koster, Raph wrote on 13/05/2005 05:52:01:

>> The MMO audiences simply seemed to prefer using the web [for
>> bulletin boards].

> Then bring the Web to the MMO, perhaps? (1)

Eve Online has a microbrowser in the game which is quite useful for
help content, player-written calculators and tools, etc.  I suspect
it can run against a stripped-down (a la mobile phones) forum
system, too.

There's definitely something immersion-breaking about reading CNN in
your game (near-future post-apocalyptic games possibly excluded),
but I think it's less so than the alt-tab alternative.

> (1) With Microsofts new Avalon rendering system, it is claimed
> that rendering, say, Internet Explorer inside a 3D space, will be
> an almost trivial programming exercise.

The Second Life guys have the Gecko (Mozilla, Firefox) engine
rendering in their game today, from screenshots I've seen, though I
don't know when they plan to ship it.

Mike