DGN: Emergent Behaviors spawned from - Re: [MUD-Dev] SOC: Will company sanctioned cheating hurt theMMOcommunity?

David Wright david.a.wright at gmail.com
Thu May 19 18:56:17 CEST 2005

On 5/12/05, Jaycen Rigger <jaycen.rigger at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I've had many a conversation about just this type of AI.  One of
> the coolest I heard was the creator of the emulator I use.  He
> suggested an Orc AI where the orcs always roam (instead of
> spawning and staying near their spawn point).  When two orcs meet,
> they fight.  The winner becomes a "Captain".  When this captain
> meets other "standard" orcs, they join up with him and follow him
> around.  If two groups led by captains meet up, the group fights
> until one of the Captains is dead.  The remaining orcs follow the
> new Captain.  Finally, when a Captain gains a large enough
> following, the entire group heads for the nearest city and goes on
> a rampage.

This concept seems especially well suited to areas of content of
which player use has gone down, or it could be used as part of a
dynamic spawning system in which NPC's 'climb the ladder' as
suggested above, and further gained higher levels of exp, coinage,
and loot the longer the npc has lived.

This would generally mean that the deeper and less used areas of a
world/dungeon, would get progressively better coin/loot/exp over
time that it doesn't actively get used, increasing player motivation
and desire to seek out less populated or used areas.

Thats something both players and designers should appreciate.