DGN: Emergent Behaviors spawned from - Re: [MUD-Dev] SOC: Will company sanctioned cheating hurt theMMOcommunity?

Otis Viles otis.viles at gmail.com
Wed May 25 20:17:21 CEST 2005

On 5/19/05, David Wright <david.a.wright at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thats something both players and designers should appreciate.

I still think that unless you've got a budding Jane Goodall out
there wanting to research "Orcs in the Mist", the system is largely
going to be wasted on the players. Unless someone is sneaking around
and following the orcs as they meet up and decide pecking order, all
of the mechanics of these groups forming is going to be completely
lost. It's the "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to
hear it, does it make any sound?" question applied to game content.

As a geeky coder since the age of 13 and a MUD coder for the past
decade, the idea sounds awesome to me and the kind of project I
might like to tackle if I had a bit more free time on my hands. I'm
not convinced it would make any difference to players, however, for
the reason stated above; players are really going to just see the
end result (unless they're a very special kind of player that most
games don't support) so the mechanics might as well be a random die
roll against a table of "what kind of orc band do I encounter?"