DGN: Emergent Behaviors spawned from - Re: [MUD-Dev] SOC: Will company sanctioned cheating hurt theMMOcommunity?

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Fri May 27 03:52:20 CEST 2005

Otis Viles wrote:
> On 5/19/05, David Wright <david.a.wright at gmail.com>  wrote:

>> Thats something both players and designers should appreciate.

> I still think that unless you've got a budding Jane Goodall out
> there wanting to research "Orcs in the Mist", the system is
> largely going to be wasted on the players. Unless someone is
> sneaking around and following the orcs as they meet up and decide
> pecking order, all of the mechanics of these groups forming is
> going to be completely lost. It's the "if a tree falls in the
> forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make any sound?"
> question applied to game content.

> As a geeky coder since the age of 13 and a MUD coder for the past
> decade, the idea sounds awesome to me and the kind of project I
> might like to tackle if I had a bit more free time on my hands.

This is pretty much how I look at it as well. It reminds me of
coding projects I have occasionally let myself get sucked into that
ended up being 1000 times cooler for me than for any actual
player. Or sometimes, its somewhat cool for the end user, but the
end user never has the opportunity to appreciate everything going on
behind the scenes.

That doesn't make it worthless, but it is certainly worth realizing
before you spend a lot of time on something that never gets
appreciated as much as you'd like.

--
Michael Hartman
President and CEO, Threshold Virtual Environments, Inc.