[SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: [MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Role playing and Voice Chat

Dana V. Baldwin dbaldwin at playnet.com
Sat Oct 15 19:46:41 CEST 2005

Michael Hartman wrote:
> Dana V. Baldwin wrote:

>> I get the distinct impression that you think role play is a
>> solely

>> very much a part of the role that my character plays.

> I agree with what you have said here. But I disagree that in a
> role playing game, having effective borging/power levelling tools
> (like voice chat) adds to the role play aspect of the game. It is
> still best done via text.

I agree as well. I'd like to suggest that voice, when done as an
opt-in augmentation to text based RP, allows for a good avenue for
OOC communications. That is primarily what I use it for in our guild
where we are 100% RP in our text communications (we speak orc, don't
use trade or global channels and try and keep all communications in
say). This allows me to have close friends on voice in an OOC
manner.

We do occassionally slip into Orc-speak when we are in voice as
welll, but that's more for comedic value and less for social RP.

I don't think that voice alone works well for a game with a large
population though. There are too many issues with
compartmentalization and text offers, as others have stated, a
better medium for composing a statement (probably why we're niot
having this discussion on Skype).