[MUD-Dev] DGN: Reasons for play [was:EmergentBehaviorsspawnedfrom...]

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Wed Sep 21 09:38:25 CEST 2005

On 31 August 2005 13:52 Michael Sellers wrote:
> Sean Howard wrote:
>> "Michael Sellers" <mike at onlinealchemy.com> wrote:

>>> Others would disagree - Caillois, Huizinga, LeBlanc, etc.

>> If you wanted to argue why they would disagree, well, that's a
>> discussion.  Name dropping is just an appeal to authority, and if
>> there was anyone who that didn't work on, it's me.

> A complete discussion of these authors, interactivity, conflict,
> etc., is beyond the scope of this mailing list, however Robin
> Hunicke and Mark LeBlanc's paper is brief, available online, and
> *highly* worth reading
> (http://algorithmancy.8kindsoffun.com/MDA.pdf) -- IMO this is
> required reading for any designer.

Hunicke et al's paper is fine as one particular, and very applied,
method of thinking about games.

However if people want a grounding in the theory of play / games
that covers authors such as Caillois, Huizinga, Suits, Sutton-Smith,
Salen & Zimmerman, Crawford, all in an easy to digest form with
tables and a big diagram, then imho the best work by far is Jesper
Juul's: The Game, the Player, the World: Looking for a Heart of
Gameness (http://www.jesperjuul.net/text/gameplayerworld/).

For something a lot, well, larger, I'd recommend: Salen &
Zimmerman's Rules of Play (MIT Press).

And if you are really keen, Huizinga etc. are all still in print and
available via all fine online printed-thing outlets.

Ren
www.renreynolds.com
Terranova.blogs.com