[MUD-Dev] Changing Midstream (SWG's New Look)

09.2006 at oasis.slimy.com 09.2006 at oasis.slimy.com
Sat Feb 4 05:09:08 CET 2006

Daniel Harman wrote:
> Can straight sandbox games work?

I think they *have* worked, in specific small market segments. In
particular the entire european "world-builder" MUD approach contineus
to have a small but loyal following.  We are still seeing games arrive
in Europe with active populations that do this.  (My current favorite
example being the all-singing-all-dancing-all-Java WurmOnline.)

But does it work for the mass markets?  Probably not.  There is a reason
why TV is so popular-- it requires no *work* to enjoy.  And I think
the masses probably want easy access experiences, not a second job in
a virtual world.