[MUD-Dev] Changing Midstream (SWG's New Look)

Ken Sewell sewellkr at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 5 01:58:48 CET 2006

I'm fairly new to this list and have not posted up to now.  For some
reason I didn't start receiving MUD-Dev mail until now so I'm going
through a backlog of messages.  I'm a bit late, but would still like to
comment on this thread.  The NGE happens to be a topic I've been
following lately, so I wanted to join in.  I think the NGE was more of a
shift in the target demographic than a recreation of the game.  As
pointed out below, the graphics are not much different from pre-NGE or
pre-CU SWG.  The main change is who SOE wants as their customers.  So
you know where I'm coming from, let me point out that I am a male, aged
30, married, one child on the way.  I joined the game several months
pre-CU and found a very enjoyable game.  But more than that, I found
much in common with my fellow player.  Many were married with families
and of a similar age group.  That and the complexity of the game were
what kept me playing.  I no longer play because I am not part of the
demographic that the NGE now targets.  Instead of a complex RPG the game
is now a simple FPS.  I'm also not sure that SOE/LA has thought about
how fickle the new target demographic tends to be.  They may all flock
to the "star-warsy" NGE, but they are also very likely to quickly
abandon it for the next hot game.  There is also the subject of income.
The monthly fee to an adult is not a big amount, to a teenager working
minimum wage it can be alot of money.  It seems risky to me to throw out
most of your established userbase in hopes of attracting a new one.  In
the case of SWG I think it would have been better to follow the existing
approach of launching a sequel.  The pre-NGE customers wouldn't have
felt betrayed and the NGE sequel could attempt to attract the twitch
gamers its designed for. I think you can see this mentality on the SWG
forums.  They are definitely split.  Some like the NGE and (it seems)
most prefer the older version.  Only SOE has the data to determine the
numbers, but alot of threads are begging/asking for a pre-CU version of
the game (well until the threads are deleted that is.)  I happen to fall
into this category, and would gladly renew to get the old game back.  So
to me a sequel would have been the logical choice.
	I do agree with Dan that there were very few quests before, and that is
the one thing I enjoyed when I tried out the NGE.  But the quests have
little to do with the change to FPS.  If all they were doing was
responding to customer demand, then quests could have been added to the
existing game.
	To the comment on dated graphics and sampled speech, while SWG is
showing its age, there are a great many of us who don't consider that a
major issue.  The NGE could have the best graphics out there and it
still wouldn't appeal to me.  Likewise a game with simple graphics can
still be very enjoyable.  I think graphics are important for catching
someones eye, but you can't expect them to keep playing/paying a game
because it looks good, content, gameplay and community are what will
keep the customers resubscribing.  I and my gaming group of friends are
still searching for a MMORPG that has the depth and complexity that SWG
used to have.

Ken.