[MUD-Dev2] [DESIGN] Removing the almighty experience point...

John Arras johnarras at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 12:07:33 CEST 2007

On 8/2/07, cruise <cruise at casual-tempest.net> wrote:
>To advance to level X+1, you need X credits of /at least/ level X.
>
>So you'd need 2 credits of /at least/ level 2 to get to level 3. Level 4
>would require 3 >= level 3 credits, and so forth.
>
>So at level 1, taking down a level 8 monster would count as one credit
>for every level up to level 9 - it would immediately take you up to
>level 2, and you'd only need one more credit to get to level 3, etc. If
>you could get 8 level 8 credits, you would be level 9, yes, but you'd
>have gone through 1-8 as you achieved each one.
>

>I do like the system, and did when it was first suggested. It goes a
>long way to putting the cause-and-effect back the right way around
>between levels and power.

What if you did this as an ELO system where the monsters or tasks
are given a dynamic level and your gain/loss is based on this?
Then you could make monsters and they would move to the appropriate
level of difficulty, and as more people "beat" them, they are worth
less and less, but if people keep wiping on them, they are worth a
lot more the first time(s) they are beat? They would also eventually
move to the apporopriate level of difficulty so no more seeing "easy"
and "hard" level 40 mobs. This would not change the actual power
or difficulty of the thing in question, just how much of a reward you
get from doing it or defeating it.

If you had classes or something like that, then maybe you could
separate it even more into ratings for each class so there aren't easy
and hard things to grind.

In order to keep monsters from being sent back to level 1 over time,
maybe you could also take into account how much effort or percent
of your energy/mana/health pool it takes you to do something. So, if
a monster kills you, it gains quite a bit of rating. If you kill it really
fast,
it loses some rating, but if you kill it more slowly it might keep its
rating or even gain a bit.

I assume players would try to game the system, but in a multiplayer
environment if you purposely die to something or take forever to
kill it to raise its level, I assume someone else will come along
and take advantage of it and get "easy kills".

John